Interpol has issued a Red Corner Notice (RCN) against fugitive gangster Shariq Sata in connection with the Sambhal violence case and several other criminal matters registered against him.
According to Uttar Pradesh Police, Sata is the alleged main conspirator behind the violence that erupted in Sambhal on November 24, 2024. The international notice was issued following a request routed through the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) after the completion of required legal formalities.
What Does the Red Corner Notice Mean?
A Red Corner Notice is an international request circulated through Interpol to law-enforcement agencies worldwide to locate and provisionally arrest a wanted person, pending extradition or other legal proceedings.
The notice does not itself amount to an international arrest warrant. However, it enables authorities in member countries to identify and detain a wanted individual according to their domestic laws while extradition proceedings are pursued.
With the RCN now issued, Indian authorities can intensify efforts to trace Shariq Sata and seek his return to India.
Police Say Shariq Sata Has Been Absconding for Years
Police officials said Sata had already been declared a fugitive offender by a court. Authorities had also initiated proceedings to attach his property and previously issued a lookout circular against him.
Investigators allege that Sata left India years ago using a forged passport and travelled to Dubai. A detailed dossier was subsequently prepared and sent to the CBI, which coordinated with Interpol for the issuance of the Red Corner Notice.
Police had conducted multiple raids to trace him but were unable to locate him. A notice under Section 84 of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita was also pasted at his residence as part of proceedings against him.
Linked to Sambhal Violence and Multiple Criminal Cases
Police have said that Shariq Sata is wanted not only in connection with the Sambhal violence but also in around 55 to 60 other criminal cases.
Authorities have also alleged that while operating from abroad, he was involved in organised criminal activities, including vehicle theft cases across the National Capital Region and Uttar Pradesh.
The Red Corner Notice is expected to help Indian agencies coordinate with foreign law-enforcement authorities to trace his location and pursue extradition.
What Happened During the Sambhal Violence?
Violence broke out in Sambhal, Uttar Pradesh, on November 24, 2024, during a court-ordered survey of the Shahi Jama Masjid.
Protesting locals clashed with security personnel during the survey, which had been ordered following claims that a Harihar temple had previously existed at the site.
The unrest resulted in the deaths of four people, while dozens of others were injured.
Uttar Pradesh Police have identified Sata as the alleged mastermind behind the violence. The latest Interpol action marks a significant step in the investigation and could potentially strengthen efforts to bring him back to India to face legal proceedings.
What Happens Next?
The Red Corner Notice allows Indian authorities to seek international cooperation in locating Shariq Sata. If he is traced in another country, authorities may initiate detention and extradition procedures in accordance with that country's laws and any applicable agreements with India.
The notice, however, does not guarantee an immediate arrest or extradition. The process will depend on his location and the legal procedures followed by the country where he is found.
Prev Article
India's Defence Self-Reliance Push Faces Its Biggest Challenge: Critical Technologies
Next Article
PIL in Supreme Court Seeks Removal of BCI Chair, Time-Bound Elections and Financial Audit