Tensions briefly escalated in Old Delhi’s Turkman Gate area early Wednesday after a section of local residents attempted to disrupt a pre-dawn demolition drive aimed at clearing encroachments near a mosque. The situation was brought under control after police used tear gas to disperse the crowd and restore order.
The demolition exercise, carried out by the Municipal Corporation of Delhi, began around 1 am near the Faiz-e-Ilahi Mosque as part of an ongoing encroachment removal drive. Authorities said the action was undertaken in compliance with a prior order of the Delhi High Court, which had directed civic agencies to clear unauthorised structures from land adjoining Ramlila Maidan.
According to police officials, a group of individuals attempted to breach barricades during the operation and resorted to stone-pelting, resulting in minor injuries to four to five police personnel deployed at the site. In response, law enforcement agencies used tear gas shells to disperse the gathering and prevent further escalation. At least ten people were detained in connection with the incident.
Police said cases have been registered against those involved in violence, and identification of suspects is underway using CCTV footage and body-worn cameras. Officials confirmed that five individuals have been identified so far and further action will follow after verification.
Despite resistance, the demolition continued under heavy security deployment. As many as 17 bulldozers were pressed into service to clear unauthorised constructions, which officials said included encroachments on public roads, footpaths, a community hall, a parking area and a private diagnostic facility. Many of the structures removed were described as decades old.
Authorities clarified that the demolition proceeded even as the High Court had earlier issued notice on a petition filed by the managing committee of Masjid Syed Elahi, which has challenged the civic body’s action. The committee has claimed that the land in question is a notified waqf property and that it falls under the jurisdiction of the Waqf Tribunal.
However, officials said the demolition was carried out strictly in line with judicial directions issued on November 12, 2025, which granted a three-month window to clear nearly 38,940 square feet of encroachments from the Ramlila Maidan area near Turkman Gate. A joint survey conducted in October last year by multiple agencies had identified large-scale encroachments on land belonging to public authorities.
Security arrangements were significantly tightened after earlier resistance was reported during marking of the encroached area earlier this month. Police maintained that only minimal and proportionate force was used to control the situation and that normalcy was restored without further incident.
In anticipation of traffic disruptions, Delhi Traffic Police issued advisories warning of congestion in and around central Delhi. Several arterial roads, including Jawaharlal Nehru Marg, Ajmeri Gate and Minto Road, were expected to witness heavy traffic pressure. Certain stretches, including routes near Kamla Market and Asaf Ali Road, were temporarily closed to vehicular movement.
Commuters were advised to avoid the affected areas and use alternative routes until the demolition activity concludes.
The situation in the Turkman Gate area remained under control by morning, with additional police presence continuing to monitor the locality to prevent any fresh disturbances.
Prev Article
BJP and Congress Join Hands in Maharashtra Civic Body, Trigger Political Shockwaves
Next Article
Karnataka BJP Woman Leader Alleges Assault During Arrest in Hubballi, Police Reject Claims