The National Testing Agency (NTA) has announced a series of measures to address recent examination lapses, including the removal of 50 staff members in total, recruitment of specialised professionals and a major overhaul of its examination processes.
The developments come after the agency ordered re-tests for three UGC-NET June 2026 papers — English, Commerce and Sociology — following complaints about multiple errors.
The decision has triggered protests from opposition parties and student organisations, putting renewed pressure on the NTA and the government's examination system.
However, the figure of 50 staff members does not represent 50 new removals. The Education Ministry clarified that 47 officials had already been removed in July in connection with the NEET paper leak controversy, with the latest action taking the overall number to more than 50.
Why is NTA conducting UGC-NET re-tests?
The NTA received complaints regarding multiple errors in the English, Commerce and Sociology papers conducted as part of UGC-NET June 2026.
The agency subsequently formed a committee to examine the complaints.
According to the NTA, the committee identified anomalies in all three papers and recommended that they be conducted again because the papers did not meet the required standards of a fair and error-free examination.
The NTA said the decision was taken in the overall interest of candidates rather than allowing potentially defective papers to determine their results.
UGC-NET 2026 re-test dates
| Subject | Re-test date |
|---|
| English | September 9, 2026 |
| Commerce | September 9, 2026 |
| Sociology | September 10, 2026 |
The original UGC-NET June 2026 examination was conducted from June 22 to June 30 across 87 subjects.
The examination determines eligibility for Junior Research Fellowship (JRF), Assistant Professor positions and PhD admissions.
NTA removes more than 50 staff members
The government has highlighted staff changes as part of the broader effort to strengthen the NTA.
The Education Ministry initially said that more than 50 staff members had been removed from the agency. An official clarification later pointed out that the figure included 47 removals made earlier in July following the NEET paper leak controversy.
The government is also recruiting professionals for 10 specialised leadership positions.
These include roles such as:
-
Chief Technology Officer
-
Chief Finance Officer
-
Chief Information Security Officer
-
General Manager — Test Security
-
General Manager — Research and Development and Psychometrics
The ministry said professionals from the private sector would also be brought in for specialised areas including cybersecurity, psychometrics and question-paper design.
Government orders overhaul of NTA examination security
Education Minister Pralhad Joshi held a meeting with senior officials, including the Higher Education Secretary and NTA Director General, to review the recent examination problems.
The minister directed officials to ensure strict compliance with established examination protocols.
The government has also called for a complete overhaul of the NTA's confidential examination operations, including:
-
Confidential examination infrastructure
-
Secluded rooms
-
Air-gapped computer systems
-
Device deposit procedures
-
Examination security protocols
-
Question-paper handling processes
The NTA has been asked to conduct a comprehensive audit of examination processes and submit a report detailing corrective measures.
The government's objective is to strengthen the system before future examinations and reduce the possibility of errors, leaks or security breaches.
Opposition attacks NTA over UGC-NET re-tests
The UGC-NET re-test decision has triggered criticism from opposition parties and student organisations.
Congress leader Rahul Gandhi attacked the examination system, arguing that repeated failures were affecting students' academic and career plans.
Student organisations including NSUI, SFI, AISA and KYS held protests in Delhi and announced further demonstrations against the decision to re-conduct the three UGC-NET papers.
The ABVP also expressed concern, saying that students' futures should not be compromised and that the NTA should be held accountable.
The criticism comes after a series of controversies surrounding India's major competitive examinations.
NTA says re-tests were ordered in candidates' interest
The NTA has defended its decision to conduct fresh examinations.
According to the agency, the examination-conducting body's responsibility extends beyond conducting an examination. It must also act when anomalies are detected.
The agency said it chose to acknowledge the problems and conduct fresh examinations rather than allow disputed papers to affect candidates' results.
The NTA's committee concluded that the identified defects meant the three papers did not meet the required standards for a fair examination.
What does the NTA overhaul mean for students?
The latest measures indicate that examination security and reliability are becoming a major focus for the government.
The recruitment of specialists in cybersecurity, psychometrics and test security suggests an attempt to move beyond conventional examination administration and introduce more specialised systems.
For students, however, the immediate concern remains the disruption caused by re-tests.
Candidates who appeared for the affected UGC-NET papers now have to prepare for another examination, while also dealing with uncertainty over schedules, results and subsequent academic or career plans.
The government will therefore face pressure to ensure that the re-tests are conducted without further errors.
The credibility of the NTA will ultimately depend not only on the corrective measures announced after an examination problem but also on whether future examinations can be conducted securely, accurately and transparently.