Jharkhand Cancels 44 Recruitment Exams Amid Student Protest Over Irregularities

Jharkhand Cancels 44 Recruitment Exams Amid Student Protest Over Irregularities

The Jharkhand government has released a list of 44 recruitment examinations cancelled amid a 25-day student protest over alleged irregularities in the state's recruitment system.

The cancelled examinations were conducted by the Jharkhand Public Service Commission (JPSC) and Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission (JSSC), along with an outsourced agency, since 2014. The government has also scrapped the JSSC Combined Graduate Level (JSSC-CGL) examination.

The decisions followed a state Cabinet meeting on Monday, with eight notifications issued late Tuesday. The government said the cancellations were aimed at restoring confidence in the recruitment process amid allegations of malpractice and examination irregularities.

Which recruitment exams have been cancelled?

The list includes examinations for several administrative, technical, scientific and judicial positions.

Among the cancelled tests are recruitment examinations for drug inspectors, assistant professors in government engineering and medical colleges, lecturers in government polytechnics, senior scientific officers, assistant conservators of forests and forest range officers.

Examinations for civil judges in the junior division, assistant public prosecutors, deputy collectors, assistant engineers and dentists have also been included.

The list also covers different editions of the Jharkhand Combined Civil Services Examination, along with recruitment tests for food safety officers, child development project officers, food analysts, deputy directors of prosecution, project managers, factory and boiler inspectors, agriculture officers, geologists, chemists and other posts.

Students demand reforms in recruitment system

The JPSC-JSSC Reforms Manch, which has been leading the student agitation in Ranchi, said it would decide its next course of action after examining the government's latest decisions.

The protesters have been demanding a cleaner and more transparent recruitment system and action against alleged paper leaks and other irregularities.

JLKM leader Devendra Mahto, who ended a 16-day hunger strike following the government's announcement, has indicated that another phase of agitation could begin.

He has sought guarantees that future JPSC and JSSC examinations will be protected against paper leaks and malpractice. His demands also include a monitoring committee and a comprehensive audit of the recruitment process.

JSSC-CGL cancellation triggers another protest

The cancellation of the JSSC-CGL examination has created a separate dispute involving candidates who had already cleared the test and secured government jobs.

Around 2,000 appointed candidates reportedly marched from the state Secretariat to Birsa Chowk in Ranchi on Tuesday.

The candidates said they were not opposed to an investigation into alleged irregularities but objected to cancelling the entire examination.

They argued that action should be taken against individuals found responsible rather than against candidates who secured appointments through the selection process.

Several appointed candidates said they had already joined departments including finance, home, road transport, labour and information and public relations. Some also claimed they had left other government or public sector jobs after being selected through the JSSC-CGL process.

Fast-track court and vigilance cells proposed

Alongside the cancellation of examinations, the state government plans to approach the High Court for the creation of a fast-track court to deal with cases related to alleged irregularities in JPSC and JSSC examinations.

Internal vigilance cells have also been proposed within both commissions.

A committee headed by senior IAS officer Amitabh Kaushal has been formed to recommend reforms to the examination systems. The committee has been given two months to submit its report.

It will examine the recruitment process and suggest measures to prevent paper leaks, manipulation and other forms of malpractice.

CID investigation continues

The investigation into alleged recruitment irregularities has also expanded, with the Jharkhand CID arresting Sushma Kumari, the wife of key accused Abhay Tiwari, and his brother Akshay Tiwari after questioning them.

Tiwari, a former TDPL employee who was posted as a block supply officer in Poriyahat in Godda district, was arrested by the CID on July 22.

Investigators said they found that he had qualified in around 12 competitive examinations over a period of 13 years. These included examinations linked to the police, Navy, Bhabha Atomic Research Centre, CRPF and Northern Coalfields.

Officials are examining his application forms, documents, evaluation records and selection details as part of the investigation.

Investigators have also alleged that different payment rates were used for candidates seeking assistance in competitive examinations, with amounts allegedly ranging from Rs 2 lakh to Rs 70 lakh.

These allegations remain part of the ongoing investigation and have not been established in court.

The CID also questioned JSSC Secretary Sudhir Gupta after evidence was reportedly recovered during a raid at the commission's office. The number of accused arrested in the case has now reached 22.

Political reactions to exam cancellations

A Congress delegation comprising ministers and legislators met Chief Minister Hemant Soren and welcomed the decision to cancel the examinations, saying it would help protect students seeking fair recruitment.

Leader of Opposition Babulal Marandi, however, criticised the government and accused it of failing to accept the protesters' demand for a CBI investigation.

The latest developments have left Jharkhand's recruitment process at the centre of a wider debate over examination integrity, accountability and the impact of cancellations on both aspiring and already-appointed candidates.

Prev Article
Maharashtra Declares Snakebite a Notifiable Disease After 3 Schoolgirls Die
Next Article
Tamil Nadu MLAs to Get New Cars, Rs 75,000 Monthly Driver Allowance

Related to this topic: