N Chandrasekaran's decision to step down as Tata Sons chairman has triggered a fresh succession debate inside the Tata Group's holding company, with directors divided over how to respond.
Chandrasekaran has informed the Tata Sons board that he will not offer himself for reappointment when his current term ends on February 20, 2027.
While some directors are considering whether he should be persuaded to reconsider, others believe the board should respect his decision and immediately begin the process of identifying his successor.
The development comes after months of uncertainty over Chandrasekaran's proposed third five-year term.
Why is Chandrasekaran leaving Tata Sons?
Chandrasekaran has been chairman of Tata Sons since 2017 and was seeking a third five-year term.
However, discussions over his reappointment reportedly became contentious amid a lack of unanimous support.
He subsequently told the board that he would not offer himself for another term.
The decision has now created two competing approaches within Tata Sons.
One group believes Chandrasekaran's decade-long leadership makes it worthwhile to ask him to reconsider.
Another view is that his decision is personal and should be respected, with the board focusing instead on ensuring an orderly Tata Sons succession process.
Can the Tata Sons board vote to keep Chandrasekaran?
The possibility of putting Chandrasekaran's decision to a board vote has reportedly been discussed.
However, directors familiar with the situation have questioned whether a voluntary decision not to seek reappointment can actually be decided through a vote.
A board can potentially request or persuade the chairman to reconsider, but that is different from having the power to compel him to remain.
This distinction is important because Chandrasekaran has not announced an immediate departure from Tata Sons. His current term continues until February 2027, after which he has said he will not seek reappointment.
Tata Trusts push succession process
While some Tata Sons directors are debating whether Chandrasekaran can be persuaded to stay, the Sir Dorabji Tata Trust (SDTT) has already pushed for succession planning to begin.
SDTT has asked the Tata Sons board to take note of Chandrasekaran's decision and start the process of setting up a selection committee to identify his successor.
The trust has also resolved to initiate the formation of the committee in accordance with Tata Sons' Articles of Association.
This effectively puts two processes in motion: a possible attempt to retain Chandrasekaran and preparations for a post-Chandrasekaran leadership transition.
Why Tata Trusts matter in choosing the next chairman
The Tata Trusts are central to the succession process because they are the principal shareholders of Tata Sons.
The Sir Dorabji Tata Trust and Sir Ratan Tata Trust are the two principal trustee shareholders.
The Articles of Association of Tata Sons establish a process involving the trust shareholders and the company's board in the appointment of its chairman.
That makes the relationship between the Tata Trusts and Tata Sons board particularly important as the succession process develops.
The situation is further complicated by differences over representation between the two principal trusts, with the Sir Ratan Tata Trust reportedly facing difficulties in jointly nominating a representative with SDTT.
That has raised questions over quorum and representation at Tata Sons.
Chandrasekaran's third-term controversy
The latest succession uncertainty follows a prolonged debate over Chandrasekaran's proposed third term.
He took over as Tata Sons chairman in 2017 after previously serving as CEO and managing director of Tata Consultancy Services.
During his tenure, the Tata Group expanded across several businesses and completed major strategic moves, including the group's acquisition of Air India.
His proposed continuation therefore became an important leadership question for the conglomerate.
But the lack of unanimous backing eventually became a major factor in his decision not to seek another term.
Legal question over Chandrasekaran's decision
Another issue concerns the legal authority of the Tata Sons board.
Corporate lawyer Ashish K Singh of Capstone Legal told The Economic Times that board approval may not be required for a decision not to seek reappointment unless Tata Sons' Articles of Association provide otherwise.
The distinction between resignation and not seeking reappointment is particularly important.
Chandrasekaran is completing his existing term. His decision means he does not intend to seek another term after February 20, 2027.
Therefore, the immediate question is not whether the board can force him to remain chairman, but whether it can formally persuade him to reconsider before the succession process advances.
What happens next at Tata Sons?
The Tata Sons board now faces a delicate transition.
One possibility is that directors attempt to persuade Chandrasekaran to reconsider and continue for another term.
The other is that the board accepts his decision and works with the Tata Trusts to identify a successor.
The SDTT's push to begin forming a selection committee indicates that succession planning is already gaining momentum.
The eventual choice will be one of the most significant leadership decisions for the Tata Group since Chandrasekaran took charge in 2017.
For now, the key question is not simply who will replace N Chandrasekaran.
It is whether Tata Sons will accept his decision to leave or make one final attempt to convince its chairman to stay.